We believe that women should have option to choose abortion. Today they can, thanks to the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision in 1973. But even though access to abortion is legal, our right to it is far from safe. Anti-choice groups attack our right to choose at every opportunity.
Anti-choice people want to outlaw abortion, regardless of the woman's situation. They will stop at nothing to make it harder for women to access abortion. They even target the doctors who provide abortion care.
Anti-choice people use many of the following tactics to reach their goals:
- Violent tactics that intimidate doctors and patients
- Bans on safe abortion methods that protect women's health
- Restrictions on low-income women's access to abortion and other health care
- Dangerous laws that jeopardize young women's health and safety
- "Crisis pregnancy centers" that intentionally mislead women
- "Personhood" measures that would ban abortion
- Distortions of science to instill fear
- Restrictions on women's access to RU 486
- Refusal clauses that deny women basic health services
We will always have to fight to keep abortion safe and legal. This means defeating attacks in Congress and in the states.
Finally, we always are sure to separate anti-choice myths from facts.
News & Updates
The House of Representatives passed anti-choice Rep. Trent Franks' (R-AZ) unconstitutional bill that would ban abortion after 20 weeks for all women nationwide in a 228-196 vote.
Despite the fact that seven out of 10 Americans continue to support Roe v. Wade, the U.S. House passed an unconstitutional ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.